Chapter members visited our partners at Kingsley House where we read to students as part of our organization’s Links To Success: Children Achieving Excellence Program, which mentors and assists in closing the achievement gap for pre-K-3rd grade minority students with an emphasis on literacy and healthy lifestyles. The chapter also donated books to each classroom.
More about Links To Success: Children Achieving Excellence ~
Pre-K-3rd Grade ~ “An Early Literacy Program”
This signature program is based on the belief that reading is the foundation enabling all children to succeed and that effective teaching of reading must begin at the earliest age with effective literacy practices. The 30 Million Word Gap cites that during the early years of cognitive development, many impoverished children generally hear 30 million fewer words by age three than their privileged peers. With effective intervention, the literacy gap can be closed, and children can then move forward and master other subjects and grade level skills.
Additional goals of Links to Success are to:
- Partner with national organizations to promote early childhood literacy
- Promote health and wellness with youth, families and communities
- Emphasize closing the elementary achievement gap
- Teach critical thinking skills
- Introduce STEM education and career readiness programs
- Expand education and career awareness